Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 ... 26 27 >
Topic Options
#2777 - 09/15/08 09:50 AM Recent Reports and Pictures
Matt Johnson Offline
Thorne Bros Pro Staff

Loc: Ramsey, MN
The fall bite is soon coming... and the fat fish are soon on the prowl... hopefully this fall produces some large fish...

After the upcoming fall we'll jump right into the ice season... forecasters say its going to be a early winter Smiler

Reports and pics coming...
www.MattJohnsonOutdoors.com

Ice Team - "Join the Team!"
www.IceTeam.com

Ultimate Panfish League
www.UltimatePanfishLeague.com

#2778 - 09/19/08 06:07 AM Re: Recent Reports and Pictures
Matt Johnson Offline
Thorne Bros Pro Staff

Spent a good part of the day yesterday on Tonka. Found all of our fish in the shallows. Mostly around slop/pads and docks. Best areas were where docks had pads surrounding them. Those areas held the highest number of fish.

White frogs and watermelon wacky-rigged Comidas or Senkos worked the best.

1-4 foot of water seemed to be key. We fished some deeper spots but didn't get bit. Water temps in the mid 60's for the most part.

Also saw a couple muskies cruising in the shallows... one of which took a swipe at my spinnerbait but decided to bite the water instead Wink

Should be a good couple of days with this warm weather. Those shallow spots should continue to pump out fish..

www.IceTeam.com

Ultimate Panfish League

#2779 - 09/24/08 06:44 AM Re: Recent Reports and Pictures
Matt Johnson Offline
Thorne Bros Pro Staff

Tonka bass...

Fish continue to bite in the shallows. If you can find any shallow wood mixed with the pads then you're on fish Smiler

Blue/black jigs, green frogs, wacky-rigged watermelon Comidas (pitched in the pockets)... are all ways of hooking these piggies.

A few more days of warm weather before we jump into 60's for highs next week...

www.IceTeam.com

Ultimate Panfish League

#2781 - 10/27/08 08:02 AM Re: Recent Reports and Pictures
Matt Johnson Offline
Thorne Bros Pro Staff

Snow fell yesterday... ice fishing is around the corner Smiler

My prediction... we'll be on the ice somewhere in the Metro on Thanksgiving...

www.IceTeam.com

Ultimate Panfish League

#2782 - 10/27/08 01:45 PM Re: Recent Reports and Pictures
K Dawg Offline
TB Moderator

Loc: Fargo, ND
Matt, I sure hope your right. I look foward to it.

Anyone have a recent temp of the lakes around here. I'm sure they've dropped well into the 40s by now.

BTW, nice bass in the picture above.

Proud Moderator on Thorne Bros.!

#2783 - 10/27/08 09:55 PM Re: Recent Reports and Pictures
Corey Bechtold Offline
Thorne Bros Pro Staff

I think I'll be fishing out of my boat the first week of December! Razzer

Keep dreaming,

Corey Bechtold

#2784 - 11/16/08 03:48 PM Re: Recent Reports and Pictures
Rope Offline
Angler

Loc: Kansas
Hey Matt.Whay do you use that Folgers decaf can for.I've seen it in a couple video clips and was just wondering.

#2785 - 11/17/08 06:06 AM Re: Recent Reports and Pictures
Matt Johnson Offline
Thorne Bros Pro Staff

They work well as minnow buckets Smiler The lids screw on and when taking a snowmobile across the lake you never have to worry about spilling Smiler Also very durable and won't freeze/break/crack...

www.IceTeam.com

Ultimate Panfish League

#2938 - 12/01/08 03:04 PM Re: Recent Reports and Pictures [Re: Matt Johnson]
Matt Johnson Offline
Thorne Bros Pro Staff

A lot of ice reports and yes, even fishing reports coming in! smile

Metro Area lakes are beginning to ice over and you might find some lakes scaterred with early ice diehards.

***NOTE... please use caution when venturing out on early ice. Go with a friend and make sure you check the ice with a chisel every couple steps. We have several months of ice fishign ahead of us, no need to risk anything for an extra day or so on the ice.

With current ice reports coming in, I've heard anywhere from open water to 5-inches of ice in the Metro Area. As we venture further north I've heard of ice as thick as 8-inches already!

Fishing reports are starting to trickle in too... some reports of panfish being caught in the channels on local lakes, as well as some of the smaller, shielded lakes. Tip-up fishermen are on several lakes playing their hand at landing a few pike, while little blue dots in the forms of fish traps can be found here and there in hopes of nailing a few panfish too. The walleye bite hasn't really been reported yet in the Metro, but I'm sure this week will change that smile

Temps are going to be in our favor... as ice will continue to form! This weekend should be a great time... for both ice anglers, and those headed to the St. Paul Ice Show! smile

www.IceTeam.com

Ultimate Panfish League

#3323 - 12/27/08 01:30 PM Re: Recent Reports and Pictures [Re: Matt Johnson]
Matt Johnson Offline
Thorne Bros Pro Staff

Finally have a chance to post a report. It's been a busy week with fishing and family.

Spent a fair amount of time trying to hit as many lakes as I could. Found a lot of ice all over the Metro and managed to snag a few good ones here and there. Finding smaller fish was simple, but it seemed like making big moves was the only way to consistently find larger fish.

Our best fishing came in under 10 feet of water right amongst the thick weeds. Had to punch, punch... and punch until we found pockets in the weeds and wait for the big ones to swim through. A lot of nice gills holding right tight in the weeds. The big crappies were very skittich but managed a couple in that 12-13 inch range... but WORKED for them! Sighted one fish that would have forced me to bring the scale out, but she didn't want to bite frown

Quantity came from deeper water in say 12-18 feet of water. I didn't fish deeper than 18 at all, too many poeple out on the various holes just plunked down. Worked some of the outside edges of the holes and thats about it. A lot of stunted pannies cruising the holes so I left them alone.

The new Northland Bro series of plastics were pretty amazing if you ask me. Bro hit a homerun with these. The Bloodworm is one wicked attack for both crappies and gills! Didn't get a chance to drop down the Scud Bug because the horizontal bite was the ticket. Also picked off several fish on Ratsos and Gulp! Maggots. The new Gulp! Alive stuff is incredible! I haven't bought a crappie minnow in years and now I'm not going to by euro larvae either... all Gulp! Alive from here on out for me! smile

Did manage to target a few bass and test out a new rod on larger fish...

Gotta love those bucketmouths on light gear!

Overall it was a good week. Had a chance to talk with a lot of people on the ice and it seemed like everyone was catching fish and having a good time!

First Ultimate Panfish League event tomorrow!

I'll post more reports when I get a chance...

www.IceTeam.com

Ultimate Panfish League

Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 ... 26 27 >