Page 2 of 27 < 1 2 3 4 ... 26 27 >
Topic Options
#3344 - 12/27/08 11:11 PM Re: Recent Reports and Pictures [Re: Matt Johnson]
Corey Bechtold Offline
Thorne Bros Pro Staff

Sounds like a good report to me! Glad to hear you finally made it out on the Ice.

Any pictures of the Panfish you caught?

Good fishing,

Corey Bechtold

#3363 - 12/29/08 09:52 AM Re: Recent Reports and Pictures [Re: Corey Bechtold]
Matt Johnson Offline
Thorne Bros Pro Staff

Loc: Ramsey, MN
We snapped a few pictures but they were inside the Thermal and the lens was pretty foggy. My bro-in-law took some pictures too, I'll see if his turned out any better.

This is the best picture that turned out on my camera...

My dad managed to stick a nice white crappie yesterday on Linwood though...

www.MattJohnsonOutdoors.com

Ice Team - "Join the Team!"
www.IceTeam.com

Ultimate Panfish League
www.UltimatePanfishLeague.com

#3374 - 12/29/08 08:33 PM Re: Recent Reports and Pictures [Re: Matt Johnson]
Corey Bechtold Offline
Thorne Bros Pro Staff

Looks like a nice White Crappie Tom caught. How was the turnout for the first UPL event?

Good fishing,

Corey Bechtold

#3380 - 12/30/08 08:36 AM Re: Recent Reports and Pictures [Re: Corey Bechtold]
Matt Johnson Offline
Thorne Bros Pro Staff

It turned out pretty good. I put a post with a link to the results in the Ultimate Panfish League forum. Some nice white crappies caught...

www.IceTeam.com

Ultimate Panfish League

#3396 - 12/30/08 09:45 PM Re: Recent Reports and Pictures [Re: Matt Johnson]
Ron Rupp Offline
Angler

Loc: Sherburne County, MN
Matt and Tom,
I always like a post with fish photos in them--
It's even better when both dad and son have their photo in the same post with nice fish.

Take Care
mr_pike_71

#3453 - 01/03/09 09:29 AM Re: Recent Reports and Pictures [Re: Ron Rupp]
Matt Johnson Offline
Thorne Bros Pro Staff

mr_pike_71,
My dad and I usually spend a lot of time together on the ice or in the boat. He has been my longest fishing buddy smile

I spent yesterday guiding a couple up in the Cambridge area and managed some panfish and pike. Fishing was tough and we had to move several times to find the fish. A lot of small fish but the bonus pike made the day.

Fished depths anywhere from 4-18 feet of water. Best action came in about 10-13 feet right where the bottom changed.

A few decent perch mixed in that fell victim to spoon packed with maggots. Also tagged a few fish on Bro's Bloodworms and Ratsos. Gulp! Alive Maggots still turned several fish too.

The pike actually came on a tip-up with a nice sucker smile

A cold morning to start the day but it turned into a nice afternoon!

www.IceTeam.com

Ultimate Panfish League

#3463 - 01/04/09 07:26 AM Re: Recent Reports and Pictures [Re: Matt Johnson]
Matt Johnson Offline
Thorne Bros Pro Staff

Spent some time on some new lakes recently trying to pattern a new area near Cambridge. Guided a group of people from Texas on Friday and what a hoot! Fishing was tough with a rapid drop in temps but we still managed some fish. Had to stay on the move and punch a lot of holes though.

We ended up working a fairly steep break where the fish were pushed up against the break wall up tight to shore. If we were off the wall too far then nothing... but right up against it and the fish cooperated very well. Took a while to really hone in on that pattern but once we did it held true down the entire breakline. Depths dropped from 4 to 12 feet fairly quickly... like say within a few feet! That's where our fish were holding.

We found some small fish up on the flat in 4-5 feet... along with some pike and bass... but our larger fish where off the edge out in 12-18 feet of water. They were definitely not holding still too. And the schools were rather large so at least we could pick off a half-dozen before the school moved on.

1/16oz jigging spoons packed with Gulp! maggots was a potent attack because it got down fast and weeded out the larger, more aggressive fish. Lindy Frostee Jigging Spoons and 1/16oz Rattlin Flyer Spoons. Also grabbed a few on Diamond Jigs, Fatboys, Genz Worms and Ratsos too.

We also lined some tip-ups out over the flat in 17-18 feet of water and picked off a few pike cruising around. They loved the suckers... but wouldn't even touch a shiner.

A neat pattern up there that I'm going to try on a few other lakes that I know have similar structure. Probably had most to do with the cold front and pressure change but still a productive pattern none the less...

www.IceTeam.com

Ultimate Panfish League

#3481 - 01/05/09 12:54 PM Re: Recent Reports and Pictures [Re: ]
Matt Johnson Offline
Thorne Bros Pro Staff

Here's a shot of Doug holding a pike...

They don't see many of these down in Texas... at least not while standing on a frozen sheet of ice smile

www.IceTeam.com

Ultimate Panfish League

#3482 - 01/05/09 12:56 PM Re: Recent Reports and Pictures [Re: Matt Johnson]
Matt Johnson Offline
Thorne Bros Pro Staff

The below-zero auger punch smile

www.IceTeam.com

Ultimate Panfish League

#3619 - 01/11/09 09:40 AM Re: Recent Reports and Pictures [Re: Matt Johnson]
Matt Johnson Offline
Thorne Bros Pro Staff

Spent some time on the ice yesterday with the Mrs and managed to battle the cold front conditions and land a nice mixed bag of fish.

We hunkered down on the far edge of a flat in about 9 feet of water just outside of the weededge near a rock pile. Most anglers either stayed down on the flat or ventured out deeper due to the cold front and change in pressure but we decided to head up shallower and focus more on structure-orientated fish. It paid off with consistent action from start to fish.

We targeted panfish for the most part and Tara caught most of the fish smile We used a variety of jigs tipped with Berkley Gulp! Maggots in blood red color. Just a single maggot seemed to work the best and using either a Power Noodle or spring bobber was definitely the ticket. Although the fish came in fast, they were very hesitant to take the bait and when they did it was very subtle. Tara put on a clinic with the Power Noodle!

As we worked through several panfish, we also managed to land some bonus walleye. Tara for some reason really wanted to test of the Power Noodle on a walleye so she pulled in a nice 18-incher...

Later on we had another pod of walleyes roam through and we managed one more fish (and lost another) before the pod cruised down to another rockpile...

Overall we had a fun day on the ice! The activity level was consistent enough that we didn't really have to move at all. Probably punched about a dozen holes before we found a productive spot and decided to flip the trap for the duration.

A few more warm days ahead of us and then things are going to take a giant plunge into the sub-zero temps...

www.IceTeam.com

Ultimate Panfish League

Page 2 of 27 < 1 2 3 4 ... 26 27 >