Page 11 of 11 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11
Topic Options
#29234 - 12/08/10 06:27 AM Re: Fishing reports... (updated 4-24-10) [Re: K Dawg]
K Dawg Offline

TB Moderator

Loc: Fargo, ND
I sneaked out again for a few hours tonight. We tried the same lake that kicked my butt the other day, after hearing some reports that it may be an evening bite.

Well, it managed to kick my butt again two ways from Sunday. Put a lot of holes on the new blade on the Solo and could only stumble across a couple of perch and a small crappie.

I got to see the first brave soul of the season... There was a guy out there with his Ford Ranger on roughly 8" of ice. Needless to say, I gave him a wide berth. crazy

Proud Moderator on Thorne Bros.!

#29235 - 12/08/10 06:29 AM Re: Fishing reports... (updated 12-8-10) [Re: K Dawg]
K Dawg Offline

TB Moderator

I sneaked out again for a few hours tonight. We tried the same lake that kicked my butt the other day, after hearing some reports that it may be an evening bite.

Well, it managed to kick my butt again two ways from Sunday. Put a lot of holes on the new blade on the Solo and could only stumble across a couple of perch and a small crappie.

I got to see the first brave soul of the season... There was a guy out there with his Ford Ranger on roughly 8" of ice. Needless to say, I gave him a wide berth.

#35396 - 05/25/11 04:19 AM Re: Fishing reports... (updated 12-8-10) [Re: K Dawg]
K Dawg Offline

TB Moderator

College will really suck you of time and money, and fishing has been really hard to do.

With school finally out, I've finally been able to get out and stick some fish. Opener came and went and I really didn't have to much drive to get out, but once the weather got nicer out that was gonna change.D

We (Drew and I) first tried our luck out west and didn't have a real good showing for our efforts. We found some fish up in the shallows back where the water was warmer, but they weren't really concentrated and rather sporadic. On our way out of the bay, we went through some bulrushes and while we were doing so, we saw pods of crappies swimming around. We stopped and fished there for some time. It was also a sporadic bite, but at least we were getting a few. We ended that day with maybe a dozen crappies and a nice burn.

After that trip, we decided to stick closer to home and fish a lake we've had success on in the past. I started out fishing for a couple hours and Drew was gonna meet me later. All I managed to do was eliminate water. I tried area's where I had success in the past with no luck. I'm not sure if the temps weren't there or if the weeds weren't up yet, but they just didn't seem to be holding. I also tried out deeper to no avail.

Drew showed up and he told me a spot where they've gotten some fish before in the past. Low and behold, they were there, and some nice ones too. It took a little to get a pattern, but the fish seemed to be holding tight to the weeds, and as long as it was cloudy, they were fairly shallow. We caught crappies up to 13.25" and a lot of them around that 11" class. Sure was fun to get out there and find some luck for the first time of the year.

We had our best luck using a 1/32 Crappie Tom collarless jig and powerminnows. We found that color didn't seem to matter to much, but we had some of our better luck on black shad and smelt. Depths of 4-6 feet with weeds were key.

#35614 - 06/03/11 02:57 AM Re: Fishing reports... (updated 12-8-10) [Re: K Dawg]
K Dawg Offline

TB Moderator

Sneaked out for a few hours yesterday with the girlfriend looking to chase down some pannies. We got out a little after noon and fished for several hours, enjoying the beautiful weather, especially after the wind calmed down.

It was a little tough locating fish. We started out in a spot where I've had success in the past, but they just weren't as concentrated as I'd hope. I got a few crappies pitching a 1/32 oz jig and Power Minnow, but that was basically it. Very few and far between.

We made a move to a back bay, but the weeds had started to really get thick and was a little pessimistic heading in, and sadly I was proven right. We tried shallow first and there wasn't much to show for it. Trolling through the weeds, I was able to see a few crappies buried down in the weeds, but there was no shot at getting them. The funny thing was to see the fish sitting quite literally under the lilly pads. If you paid close enough attention, you could pick out the little crappies that were just chilling there. Of course there were plenty of sunnies and some nice bass too.

My buddy is out there and he got a few bass. They were up in the shallows but didn't seem to aggressive. He got them pitching a small DT 4.

Page 11 of 11 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11

Moderator:  K Dawg