Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#42922 - 05/12/12 10:50 PM Summer Adventures, 2012 Style
K Dawg Offline

TB Moderator

Loc: Fargo, ND
I'm home from school, and with that, I once again have access to a boat (finally! haha)

With that, the first trip of the year found me up on Mile Lacs for opener. My dad and I tired to do some midnight bobber fishing, but that was a bust due to sheer exhaustion. Only manage one rock bass.

Otherwise, after a few hours of sleep at the hotel, we were out on the lake and fishing by 8. Fishing was tough, as the fish we were targeting were not holding to any pattern. They were scattered out and you'd find one here, one there sort of deal.

We ended up catching 7 walleyes over the morning hours, all of them being bigger fish, 22 to 27 inches. Most of the time, when you would mark a fish, you could pick one up in that area. We did find a small spot and got three eyes bobber fishing in a short period there, but otherwise covering water with lindy rigs worked out best for us. Red/Pink hook and chart bead with a leech was best.

Proud Moderator on Thorne Bros.!

#42923 - 05/12/12 11:24 PM Re: Summer Adventures, 2012 Style [Re: K Dawg]
K Dawg Offline

TB Moderator

Forgot to add, we got all of our fish in the 16 to 18 foot range, with 16 to 17 being prime.

Water temps started off at 54.5 and were up to 56+ by the time we left the lake at 2.

#42932 - 05/14/12 01:24 PM Re: Summer Adventures, 2012 Style [Re: K Dawg]
Shane Hendricks Offline
TB Moderator

Loc: St. Paul, MN
Great job!! I was out there as well. Had a hard time getting any keepers but we hit a lot of big fish over the weekend.

Edited by Shane Hendricks (05/14/12 01:25 PM)

Proud to be a Moderator of Thorne Bros
Shane@uppermidwestoutdoors.com
www.uppermidwestoutdoors.com

#42958 - 05/15/12 04:03 AM Re: Summer Adventures, 2012 Style [Re: Shane Hendricks]
Corey Bechtold Offline
Thorne Bros Pro Staff

I just want to know what's the deal with all the "green goo" that was all over the lake...

Good fishing,

Corey Bechtold

#43016 - 05/19/12 06:15 AM Re: Summer Adventures, 2012 Style [Re: Corey Bechtold]
K Dawg Offline

TB Moderator

That green goo was really something else. It seemed like every rock or bottom you touch, the weight got covered with it. I wonder if it has something to do with how early the ice came off. Just hoping that as the summer wears on, it'll kill itself off.

This past week I made it out with Drew for an evening outing. Before he made it out in the boat, I tried to find some crappies, but it was a lot of work for very little results. I did find some fish up in the shallows, but I'm not sure if it was the weather or the spawn, or a combination of both, but I could not get them to bite anything I threw their way. Even dancing the jig in front of them couldn't get any responses. I did pick up a couple of crappies out in deeper water (10 feet or so) and there were post spawn females. As the weeks wear on and we get further from the spawn, I'm going to refocus on this lake and see if I can get a pattern going.

Otherwise, the evening bite was a bust. I slow rolled jigs and leeches along a shard break just outside of the weed edge, but all we managed to get were rock bass and northerns. It was fun catching them, but got old after a bit.

Water temps were already pushing past 60 degress on the lake, and I'm sure with these warms temps the recreational boaters will be out in force.

#43139 - 05/26/12 05:12 AM Re: Summer Adventures, 2012 Style [Re: K Dawg]
K Dawg Offline

TB Moderator

Took another trip up to Mille Lacs today with my buddy Tony. We hit the road by 6 am and made it out to the lake by 8, fishing by 8:30.

Started out fishing some shoreline structure along the west side, but that really didn't pan out. We got one fish drifting the westerly winds in 18 fow, and a few other misses, but nothing to keep us there after 1.5 hours.

After striking out there, we headed out to the flats to see what we could manage with the wind blowing us around a little. Got to our first spot that we had scoped out and was met with four other boats. As soon as we started trolling, one of the boats reeled up a decent 22" class walleye. We started moving into the wind and picked up 2 eyes on the first pass along the break. This trend continued for some time until the wind picked up and boat control became difficult with dying batteries. At that point, we anchored up and got enough walleyes bobber fishing to make it a day.

Most of the fish were relating to the break, with our 4 keepers coming from the top of the break, and the larger fish roaming out deeper a little. There were also some fish on top of the flat, more notably when the cloud cover was thicker.

We did make one move to another flat looking for some fresh fish, and that was a good move, as we finished out the day strong, catching 25 eyes total, with all but one coming from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

While we were trolling, the presentation of choice was a simply lindy rig set up. I was running a red hook with red bead and tony was running a red hook with both a yellow and red bead. At this point, I don't think colors are mattering too much, just as long as you can get the leech in the strike zone, the fish are going to hit it. Also, a red hook under the bobber 18" to 2' off the bottom was getting our fish.

Water temps started out at 59 and slowly crept up to 61 as the day crept on. And not to fear, the green goo is still all over the rocks, but the flats were clear.

Best part of the day is when Tony PR twice on his biggest walleye!

#43192 - 05/29/12 07:31 PM Re: Summer Adventures, 2012 Style [Re: K Dawg]
Mojo1269 Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: Twin Cities
Nice looking fish Kyle....

Life is too short to use crappy gear.

#43358 - 06/10/12 04:00 PM Re: Summer Adventures, 2012 Style [Re: Mojo1269]
K Dawg Offline

TB Moderator

Thanks Mojo!

Ran up again last Wednesday morning to put a few morning hours in after hearing that the bite is still roaring. We were fishing my 7:30 and had 50 fish by 1. We left with the bite still going.

Leeches on long snells. Don't fish till you mark them.

#43363 - 06/11/12 01:12 AM Re: Summer Adventures, 2012 Style [Re: K Dawg]
Shane Hendricks Offline
TB Moderator

Loc: St. Paul, MN
That's incredible, love the pics.

Proud to be a Moderator of Thorne Bros
Shane@uppermidwestoutdoors.com
www.uppermidwestoutdoors.com

#43365 - 06/11/12 01:33 AM Re: Summer Adventures, 2012 Style [Re: Shane Hendricks]
Corey Bechtold Offline
Thorne Bros Pro Staff

Sounds like the lake is "Summer peaking'.

Nice report Kyle!

Corey Bechtold

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  K Dawg