Topic Options
#52022 - 06/16/14 10:29 PM Crazy Crappies
Bobb-o Offline

TB Moderator

Loc: St. Paul, Mn
Didnt get too much time on the water this weekend with the rain and the wind. The few times I did manage to fish, however, I didn't even have to take the boat out. Arrived at the cabin Friday night and as I always do, headed out to the dock for a few casts before unpacking. In the first 10 casts I made, I caught 8 crappies. It was the strangest thing I have seen, crappies from 6-12" were up in 2-5 feet of water in the lily pads, and were chasing anything near the surface. I ended up switching to a super light jig with an oversized tube and slowly dragging it along near the surface and had them "shark-finning" near the surface to attack my bait. I tried getting photos of their fins out of the water, but after almost dropping my phone in the lake for the second time, I gave up on that.

This happened all weekend long, everytime I cast off that dock, the crappie attacks would commence. I am sure the high water has a little to do with it, as well as insects, but I have never seen a crappie bite like this on this lake. Anyone else seeing weird fish behaviors with the weird weather?

#52025 - 06/17/14 06:36 AM Re: Crazy Crappies [Re: Bobb-o]
Tom Dobbins Offline
Thorne Bros Pro Staff

Loc: Blaine, MN
My dad has told me about that phenomena a few times. When the cottonwoods let go, he always sees crappies shark finning in shallow water on the lakes by him. He makes it a point to go out and pop a few each year when cottonwood lets out. His favorite bait for that time is a beetlespin with the yellow/black stripe body.

I have seen it once and boy is it a riot. You gonna be up at the cabin this weekend Bobb-O? I am heading up to my grandma's place in Aitkin Friday afternoon and plan to head home late Saturday. Maybe meet up on a lake up there if you are around?

#52067 - 06/20/14 07:19 AM Re: Crazy Crappies [Re: Tom Dobbins]
Mark Pothen Offline
Thorne Bros Pro Staff

Loc: Mounds View, Mn.
when I was out tues. I had the thill mini stealth floats set down 12 to 18" fishing in three feet. They would smack the small plastics like crazy as soon as it hit the water. The gills I mean. I had a lot of them come up and smack the small float, and then hit the plastics. Crazy.

Going to head out again tomorrow am and see what happens. I could not find the Crappies though on Tues.

Moderator:  Bobb-o