Topic Options
#52994 - 04/16/15 08:14 PM Gear Upgrade
JoshJ979 Offline
Angler

Loc: Farmington, MN
Long story short, I went to the Expo last weekend and prior to leaving the house my wife says, "Don't spend a lot of money". So for once I listened and I bought a few new lures and called it a day.

Upon my return, I was telling her about the rod and reel deals and she was like, why didn't you buy one and save the money instead of getting later at a higher price.... can't win.

Anyways, I have 3 rod/reel combo's and I want to upgrade the 3rd below:

1 - 7 ft st. croix rod triumph with Abu Garcia C4
2 - 8 ft st croix premier w revo toro winch
3 - 8 ft cabelas rod w/daiwa lexa 300hsp with 80lb suffix832

I don't really like the daiwa lexa 300, seems a little too small when pulling blades, pulls hard and doesn't feel very smooth out of the box. Is that because I got the high speed and the lexa 400 and nacl will be the same if I go high speed? The cabela's rod - well you get what you pay for.

I am debating the daiwa lexa 400 or the revo toro nacl 60. I prefer the low profile feel vs round feel of the calcutta style.

Which reel do you like and should I replace the 300hsp with another high speed model or go with the "regular" speed. Would likely be the setup I use for bucktails.

~ Note the obvious that the Cabela's rod will be getting updated as well. Likely an 8'6" but I am more concentrated the reel.

Anyone have insight to using the above gear and thoughts?

#53003 - 04/20/15 05:48 PM Re: Gear Upgrade [Re: JoshJ979]
Mojo1269 Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: Twin Cities
Lexa 400 and and NACL are similar reels but it really comes down to what gear ratio you get as to how hard or easy it will be to pull blades. Either of those would be adequate for pulling blades up to DCG's. If you want to burn more than slow roll go fast if you slow roll more go low gear ratio...You can always speed your retrieve to burn.

Life is too short to use crappy gear.