Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#51814 - 05/19/14 09:08 PM Re: Fishing report Snake River [Re: Brandon Nyquist]
Brandon Nyquist Offline

TB Moderator

Loc: Braham
This spring has been a tough to say the least, both the Rum and Snake are tough fishing due to the high water. Beyond today, the forecast looks pretty good. If we can get a solid 1-2 weeks of Sun and Mid 60's we will be in great shape. Look at the USGs map We are coming down on water levels.

If you plan to fish either the Rum or the Snake this week look for slack calm water or work the edges and current breaks. Remember the best is yet to come, and this is THE best time of the year to be getting your fat walleyes. I like to use the original Rapala Shad Rap it has been a very tried and true bait for me when I am trolling, it has the right action and colors to mimic the food the walleyes are eating. I can't stress how important a good sonar is on the river, I use both Hummingbird and Vexilar FL22 with a Alumaducer from Vexilar. I mostly run my Hummingbird in SI mode and keep the Vexilar as my sonar, I like the real time display from the Vexliar and like to see what the bottom looks like on each side of the boat.

Stay tuned for more updates.

#52236 - 07/16/14 07:33 PM Re: Fishing report Snake River [Re: Brandon Nyquist]
Brandon Nyquist Offline

TB Moderator

The water is finally manageable now!!!

Spent some time guiding this last weekend and lets say the bite was pretty darn good!

Trolling Blue Original Straight Rapala seemed to be the best bait for trolling. 3-5 feet is the max these baits run.

Lindy rigs worked very well when drifting with the current. Keep your Snell about 18" to 22"

The fish have not gone to the holes yet so expect to find your fish in the 4' range.

Edited by Brandon Nyquist (07/16/14 07:34 PM)

#52298 - 07/31/14 06:37 PM Re: Fishing report Snake River [Re: Brandon Nyquist]
Brandon Nyquist Offline

TB Moderator

Ive been spending some good time on the Old Snake River lately and all lets just say it has been great! Expect lots of Smallmouth and Largemouth action! I am amazed how big the Largemouth Bass have been this year!

Smallmouth and Largemouth bass: Cast frogs and poppers at the banks this have been a very good tactic lately along with buzz baits and 4-5" Carolina rigs. Lindy Rigs and crawlers and Leechs will still put Bass in the boat as well.

Walleye: Trolling in the morning and evening still seems to be effective right now. If you plan to fish them during the day best to try Leeches and Lindy Rigs by the Log jams. Jig and Frog can be effective as well.

The Sheephead this year are getting pretty fierce also. If you are in a spot and are getting lots of Sheephead its best to move up or down the river to get away.

The water level is starting to get low right now so be careful with your prop boats. I run a jet boat and its by far the best tool fishing this river by a factor of 10!

Click here for USGS water Level

Edited by Brandon Nyquist (07/31/14 06:39 PM)

#53036 - 05/04/15 09:12 PM Re: Fishing report Snake River [Re: Brandon Nyquist]
Brandon Nyquist Offline

TB Moderator

Snake River Pre opener report- This Minnesota opener is shaping up to be one of the best Openers I have seen in years! The water is low and clear which is pushing fish to the deep holes already instead of on the move like most years. You will be able to pick up fish by trolling but I would focus more time on the deep holes right now. Especially if its a sunny warm day.

If your planning on fishing the Snake River during during sun up to mid morning focus your tactics to trolling main current between 3-6 feet and focus attention around Log jams, eddys, and deep corners. Use baits like Rapala Original Floater Rapala Shad Rap and Rapala Shadow Rap . If you want to play it safe against logs and rocks the Shallow baits work great but pick up more Pike. I like to use the deeper baits to dig into the ground, rocks and logs. They are surprisingly snag resistant. Try to keep your trolling going up current as you have better control.

Once you've trolled a section then change directions and start to drift down current using a Lindy Rig. I like to use a 1/4" sinker on the main line, tied up to a small swivel with a 24" Snell with either a colored hook or I like to use a few beads in front of the hook for color.

If your planning on fishing for Walleyes between 10 am and 4 pm I would suggest your best option would be to set up to a log jam and fish the brush. I like to find Log jams that are either deeper than 5' or in the shade.

Remember look at the USGS Water Data website for the latest water conditions. I was out last weekend and its pretty shallow but if you have a smaller prop boat, Canoe or Jet boat you will be fine. Your bigger boats will have to go slow with full trim.

Good luck fishing!

Brandon Nyquist
Nyquist Outdoors

#53049 - 05/11/15 08:58 PM Re: Fishing report Snake River [Re: Brandon Nyquist]
Brandon Nyquist Offline

TB Moderator

Fishing Opener report: Well 2015 Minnesota opener was epic to say the least! Lots of active fish that were on the move looking to feed. The current has been on the rise sense the weekend before which has pushed the fish out of the deeper holes. We started the day trolling Rapala Shad Rap and once the morning time bit started tapering off we started fishing deeper hole, slack water area’s and brush piles. We tied up Lindy Rigs and got a few walleyes but quickly noticed that they were more interested in a quicker moving presentation. We decided to switch gears and throw green colored jigs with half night crawler and this seemed to be the ticket! Cast your jigs into areas with low current or work area around brush piles. You need to fish very close to the brush and expect to get hung up but it’s part of the game being a walleye fisherman on the river.

Here is a link to current water flow on the snake river by Pine City. USGA Water Data
Here is the big fish of the weekend 24” caught and released

[img:center][/img]

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Brandon Nyquist