Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#21389 - 04/28/10 07:31 PM Re: Boat works - Remodeling Lil Red [Re: hardwaterfanatic]
Tom Dobbins Offline
Thorne Bros Pro Staff

Loc: Blaine, MN
Sorry, I got your pm. I have been really busy, but I am going to put together something for you and the others that were asking questions.

Real quick, for the interior painting. I basically prepped by vacuuming the interior and getting it super clean, then did a rub down of the entire interior with paint thinner. Got all the gunk, slime, grease, and everything else off. After that, I did the first coat of a self priming spray paint. Then after that I did a second coat of a semi-gloss white spray paint. I know it isn't going to be the most durable, but I try to take care of my boat, and if it gets scratched up, it is plenty easy for me to go back and patch it up easily. I just really didn't want that seafoam green that was in there from the factory. My paint job cost me about 25 bucks and some elbow grease. I have a good friend that is a custom painter and even at a deep discount (materials only) it would have been close to 200 to do it with automotive paint, and then scratches are a pain to fix. My boat is made to catch fish, not necessarily look great. If it gets messed up to the point where I feel like I need to redo some paint, I can get it done for 10 bucks.

#21745 - 05/06/10 10:41 PM Re: Boat works - Remodeling Lil Red [Re: Tom Dobbins]
Matt Johnson Offline
Thorne Bros Pro Staff

Loc: Ramsey, MN
Tom,
Awesome looking boat buddy! I just spent a little time reading through your process and looking at the pictures... very cool! All that hardwork definitely paid off!
www.MattJohnsonOutdoors.com

Ice Team - "Join the Team!"
www.IceTeam.com

Ultimate Panfish League
www.UltimatePanfishLeague.com

#23400 - 06/16/10 09:17 AM Re: Boat works - Remodeling Lil Red [Re: Matt Johnson]
Shane Hendricks Offline
TB Moderator

Loc: St. Paul, MN
Man you really turned that boat around. It looks awesome. The inside paint job really made it all complete. Looks like you have a good boat that's going to last you a while.

Proud to be a Moderator of Thorne Bros
Shane@uppermidwestoutdoors.com
www.uppermidwestoutdoors.com

#24064 - 07/10/10 10:10 PM Re: Boat works - Remodeling Lil Red [Re: Chris Haider]
Jedi Offline
Angler

Loc: Minnesota
Looks nice! I did similar thing to my 16.5 foot modified V jon boat last year. I love that thing, I can take it anywhere. I'm thinking about re doing it this fall/early winter. I need some rod storage.

#34500 - 04/21/11 07:38 PM Re: Boat works - Remodeling Lil Red [Re: Jedi]
Tom Dobbins Offline
Thorne Bros Pro Staff

I have been meaning to update this thread for a long time and just never gotten around to it, til now. A few lessons learned and tips for anyone else looking to take this project on.

Biggest lesson learned - don't put all the weight up front if you plan to fish alone. I found out rather quickly that having a 60" Maxxum 74, casting deck, two group 27s and me standing up front was a bit too much. Went out on a windy day and hopped up front to cast. As long as I kept the nose in the wind it wasn't much of a problem, but the back of the boat was damn near out of the water, there was so much weight up front. I kept getting weird readings on the depth finder in the back, when the boat would go over a wave, the ducer was completely out of the water. Not really safe like that so I played around with the set-up a bit. Tried one 27 in the front and one in the back, still not balanced right. Both 27s in the back on each corner with the gas tank in the middle at the back and we were rocking.

Next lesson learned, put a 12V acc. outlet up front and in the back. Then I can easily move the lowrance H2O back and forth and not have wires hanging out. Yes, I cheaped out and thought I could only use one for a while. Dumb.

Another lesson I have learned, is too much weight equals not enough speed with the old 15 with more than myself and Hunter in the boat. After I finished it up and people started to see how nice it was, everyone wanted to fish with me. I think I had 8 or 9 different people in the boat with me last year, other than Hunter. All but two of those trips with other guests included Hunter as well. I would like to get a 25 or 30 2 stroke for the back end, but for now with my modest budget, the old Mariner 15 is gonna have to do it. I can deal with slow and steady (16 mph with myself, Hunter, and another adult).

Now I am considering modifying my trailer to make bunks rather than rollers, cause my rollers are shot, and I hate them anyway. If I go with bunks, I will surely do teflon slide pads to make things easy. Don't know when I would do it, but a trip to a buddy's house on South Center might be in order.

I also want to get a plug and play transom navigational light as the old clamp on one just isn't cool enough. I can easily mount it up and store the light in the rear trough. The clamp on one works alright, but I am sick of it slipping when I am running in chop at night.

I also secured some additional Micro Ram mount balls to place in the boat. I plan to add one up front along with another on the right side of the rear bench. I recently modded one of them by tapping the little casting hole in the bottom of it with a 1/4-20 tap and then screwing in a 1/4-20 threaded rod. This threaded rod was then cut to length and works great as a handy dandy tripod mount for my camera. So when I am alone and want to snap a photo, I can mount the camera in the Micro Ram and snap my photo with the timer release. Awesome. Set my camera to exposure compensation bracketing and I get three shots in quick succession and one should be okay. Fish goes back and I keep casting.

I would highly suggest the Micro Ram mount system for anyone that fishes alone and would like to get photos occasionally. I plan to get some fun shots this summer with my rig. Hopefully others can as well.

The other fun addition is a Vexilar Pro Mount that will be up right next to the trolling motor. I am thinking I will go with a transom ducer as I can easily see the bow and a Vex from the back and I will mainly use it to decipher bottom content and depth. If I use it for jigging, it will likely be in the river and my jig will probably be under the transom anyway, remember it is only 14 feet long. I could easily swing the rod back if it is that important. Not too worried about having the ducer on the trolling motor. When I put the vex in the boat, I want it to be on the whole time, not just when I am casting, and right now I can't afford two ducers.

#34521 - 04/22/11 01:56 PM Re: Boat works - Remodeling Lil Red [Re: Tom Dobbins]
tajjeep Offline
Avid Angler

Loc: Lino Lakes, Minnesota
Thanks for putting this thread up. I dismantled my 16' Sea Nymph fish-n-ski last spring (things came up and I couldn't get back to it until this spring). I already have my new floor plywood cut and I purchased the carpet and I have a rough idea of the new layout (going from a twin console to a single which is getting moved 2' closer to the transom, from a small single livewell to two, from a small front deck to a decent front deck and small rear deck, and creating a rod locker). I am hoping to get it seaworthy by the bass opener. I will definitely utilize some of your tips. Thank you again.

"Some people go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."

#34522 - 04/22/11 04:09 PM Re: Boat works - Remodeling Lil Red [Re: tajjeep]
hardwaterfanatic Offline
Angler

Tom~
Thanks for the updates. I too am working on my old Lund. Need to go thru your posts here again to check things out.

Check your PM's about a motor too. I may have just what you are looking for.

#51807 - 05/19/14 06:17 AM Re: Boat works - Remodeling Lil Red [Re: Tom Dobbins]
Tom Dobbins Offline
Thorne Bros Pro Staff

Picked up a Humminbird 859 over the weekend. I also got a ram mount to mount it on the back bench and a spare ball to put on the bow. I am going to run the cables in wire loom and have cable clips along the side of the boat right below the top rail so that I can use it in both positions. The old Garmin unit finally went belly up and it wasn't cool riding around without a depth finder in the back. Now I have depth and GPS.

#51964 - 06/10/14 11:54 AM Re: Boat works - Remodeling Lil Red [Re: Tom Dobbins]
Tom Dobbins Offline
Thorne Bros Pro Staff

I had an idea while out fishing with my dad and Hunter this weekend and I am putting it into action tonight. I have to run over to Cabela's to grab a little more carpet for the boat and I am going to put a couple pieces of plywood over the rod tube areas level with the bench and front casting platform in the boat. Travel to the lake the rods will be under and in the tubes, when I get to the lake the rods will be out on top and a bit more organized than they are now. I got some wire organizers when I was installing the new bird and I think I can modify them to work very well to keep rod tips tidy.

Always thinking of ways to improve my fishing experience. This should be an easy bit of work and will really help keep the boat clean. It is a mess with 8 rods sticking up all over the place the way it gets through out a day on the water right now.

I will post pics as I get it done.

Take care,
Tom

#53206 - 03/24/17 08:15 AM Re: Boat works - Remodeling Lil Red [Re: Tom Dobbins]
Tom Dobbins Offline
Thorne Bros Pro Staff

Its been a while since I was on here last, but I am back and I am working on the little old Lund again. A MAJOR makeover from what I had done to it before. Can't wait to get it done and on the water in it's new form. It is gonna be awesome. Think Lund Pro Guide in a 14' boat.

Oh yeah, #itaintrednomo - my buddy Erik Frank of Hardcore Customs painted it for me a couple weeks ago. It looks sweet!

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4